Top 10 Ideas for Toddler Activities that Include Music
There are many toddler activities that include music. Here are our favorites.
1) Keep singing those lullabies! Check out our lullaby pages for new songs.
2) Play the “toddler drum.” Ask them to slowly sing a vowel sound (AHHHH, or OHHH work great) then gently tap their back so that it becomes a syncopated sound. Then they can play the Mommy or Daddy drum when it is their turn.
3) To lovingly connect with or calm a toddler try “talking with your heart.” The sound of the heart is an “Ahhhh.” Hold your child chest to chest with your heads to the right so that you are heart to heart. Focus on the love you have for your child and say/sigh “Ahhhhh.” Ask them to say “Ahhhhh” at the same time. Repeat three times or as long as you both are enjoying it.
4) Make up a “dinnertime ditty” as you are cooking and sing the menu. Choose a silly operatic or folk style and sing! For example: “Tonight we are having peas! Tonight we are having peas! Come set the table please.”
5) Learn a grace that you can sing at mealtimes. (Learn ours in our 22-2minute miracles course)
6) Go on a listening safari. Bring a pad and paper and sit somewhere and listen. Then draw what you have heard and talk about the sounds around you. This safari can happen anywhere! Some good places to try are: in your house, in your yard, in the park, while you are on the road or when you are visiting a friend's house.
7) Listen to the birdsong in your area and learn to identify the birds by the songs that they sing.
8) Be a band! Make and use your own instruments to make up your own songs or to accompany recorded music.
9) Create family performances. Take turns singing or playing instruments together. Have a weekly after dinner performance time.
10) Take your child to see live music performances. Open air events like street fairs are the best opportunity for young ears. Be careful of noise levels and leave if your child seems uncomfortable with noise levels. Talk about what you liked about the performances.
By doing these toddler activities you are teaching your child how to appreciate the wonder around him and that you value music and musicians. Music can be fun for everyone.
This app softly sings your baby to sleep or wakes them gently with the Kid's Music Award winning lullaby music you hear on this site. (Grown ups love this music to destress and relax, too.)Learn more here.
CDs & Book
"my baby was completely silent, no crying, no fussing, just absolutely silent. Then I realized he was listening intently with every fiber of his body to the music, and after a good ten minutes of this he was sound asleep. Awesome!!!" - Amazon Reviewer